Search Committee Minutes and Announcements
July 28, 2021
The Senior Minister Search Committee has been busy in spite of a challenging month schedule-wise. The committee is now fully engaged in the process of reviewing and interviewing potential candidates. We have reviewed the profiles/resumes of eighteen interested candidates to-date, eleven of which have come from within the Disciples of Christ denomination, and seven of which have come from independent Christian Church or similar backgrounds. Of those eighteen, we have felt encouraged to interview six, three of which have been interviewed in the last month. In the next two weeks, we have scheduled two more first interviews and one second interview. Our candidate pool is diverse – those being interviewed include male candidates, female candidates, white, Asian American, and African American candidates. This is a difficult and tedious process. Please pray that God will lead our next pastor to FCC and that we will recognize them when he does.
May 25, 2021
The committee met on May 25th to begin the process of reviewing applications and scheduling initial phone interviews. Your prayers are extremely important to this process as we prayerfully consider each applicant and listen for God’s voice in bringing us together with our intended minister.
May 4, 2021
The committee met with Rev. Mike Dixon and Pastor John Snidle. Mike and John gave excellent input on finalizing our CCIW Profile, job description, and notice of position opening. The committee determined that we have spent adequate time in consultation. While we will continue in prayer and preparation, we are prepared to begin seeking and accepting applications. We will meet again the week of May 23rd to discuss progress.
April 27, 2021
The committee met with the Rev. Rick Grace of Disciple Heritage Fellowship, a support organization for Independent Christian and Disciples of Christ congregations. Rev. Grace was an excellent resource for how to pose theological interview questions and knowing what to bring up when.
APRIL 20, 2021
The Permanent Minister Search Committee met on Tuesday evening, April 20th. At this meeting we completed the updating of the Congregational Profile for CCIW. In addition, we completed a posting notice for the position and reviewed the job description and previous employment contract, as well as made clarifications as to requirements. We are also currently working with the Staff Relations and Stewardship & Finance committees. We ask everyone to continue to pray for our search and for FCC, especially at 7:07.
APRIL 13, 2021
The Permanent Minister Search Committee held in-person meetings with Rev. David Upchurch, Director of Church Ministries for Lincoln Christian College on April 6th, and with Rev. Teresa Dulyea-Parker, Regional Minister and President of CCIW on April 7th. Both were very helpful in sharing their extensive experiences with ministerial searches, and both offered suggestions on the dos and don’ts of an effective search process. Both have promised to provide potential candidates to us for our review, and Rev. Upchurch has already begun doing so. Rev. Parker will return in the future with CCIW candidates for us to review.
At the April 13th meeting, business centered around preparing for the search and consisted of the following:
- Reviewing and discussing meetings with Revs. Upchurch and Parker
- Discussing ways to involve the congregation in the search process especially with regard to prayer.
- Reviewing and editing our CCIW Congregational Profile.
- Reviewing and editing the job description
- Discussing ways to promote our church and community to potential candidates.
- Scheduled in-person meeting with Rev. Rick Grace, Church Liaison for Disciple Heritage Fellowship.
The Search Committee is dedicated to listening and praying for God’s plan for FCC, seeking the expertise of those who have many years of experience with permanent minister searches, and giving preference to candidates who are known and vouched for by reputable sources.
THE SEARCH COMMITTEE NEEDS YOUR HELP IN TWO WAYS:
- Share your thoughts by dropping a note in the suggestion box, leaving a note in the offering baskets, or calling/texting any search committee member.
- PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!! We are asking everyone in our congregation to join us in praying DAILY at 7:07 a.m., 7:07 p.m., or better yet – BOTH. 7:07 reminds us of Matthew 7:7, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” Remember that what we are asking for and seeking is God’s will for FCC. Prayer makes a difference!
MARCH 19, 2021: FCC PERMANENT MINISTER SEARCH COMMITTEE MEETING
The Search Committee held its organizational meeting on Friday, March 19th. The following business was conducted:
- The Committee opened in prayer, and committed to spending time each day in silent prayer focused on listening for God’s plan for FCC. The congregation is asked to join us in this focus.
- Decided to meet weekly, at least until the search has been organized and is well underway.
- Decided that five of seven members will be required for quorum. Five votes will be required for general business; seven votes/unanimity will be required for candidate advancement.
- Scheduled in-person meetings with Rev. Teresa Dulyea-Parker, CCIW Regional Minister, and Rev. David Upchurch, Director of Church Ministries for Lincoln Christian College.
- Decided to keep the congregation up-to-date on general business after each meeting via the church website, and on specific business/important updates via congregational announcements. Will ask to have website updates published in the Messenger when possible.
We ask the congregation to be in prayer DAILY for our search and time in silent prayer listening for God’s plan for our congregation. We would appreciate receiving input/suggestions/concerns/preferences from the congregation in any of the following ways:
- Drop a card in the lobby suggestion box
- Leave a note in the offering baskets in the sanctuary, or in offering plates when that resumes.
- Call or text any search committee member below:
- Nels Kasey 217-254-8705
- Candi Milam 217-822-9838
- Donna Moss 217-822-4041
- Troy Sanders 217-251-4300
- Daniel Smittkamp 217-822-6328
- Pete Templeton 217-822-0798
- Steve Webb 217-822-3351