Tuesday, December 10, 2019
by Cathy Melendez
While working on my Advent message, my mind kept coming back to “The 10 Commandments of a Christian Christmas” that I had recently heard. I’m not sure if any of them fall under our theme, but I’ll let you decide that for yourself as you read. Try to follow these “10 Commandments” this Advent season:
1. You shall not leave Christ out of Christmas, by making it “Xmas”. To some “X” means unknown.
2. You shall prepare your soul for Christmas. Spend not so much on gifts that your soul is forgotten.
3. You shall not let Santa Claus replace Christ, thus robbing the day of its spiritual reality.
4. You shall not burden the shop girl, the mailman, or the merchant with complaints and demands.
5. You shall give yourself with your gift. This will increase its value a hundred fold, and the one who receives it shall treasure it forever.
6. You should not value gifts received by their cost. Even the least expensive may signify love, and that is more priceless than silver and gold.
7. You shall not neglect the needy. Share your blessings with many who will go hungry and cold if you are not generous.
8. You shall not neglect your church. Its services highlight the true meaning of the season.
9. You shall be as a little child. Not until you become in spirit as a little one are you ready to enter into the kingdom of Heaven.
10.You shall give your heart to Christ. Let Him be at the top of your Christmas list.
Anyone keeping these commandments is sure to have a blessed Advent and Christmas!
Father, we thank you for teaching us how to live for You and showing us how to love others and give as You gave this Christmas season.